Rajinder Kumar & Rahul Kumar: Rajinder Kumar Associates
Rajinder Kumar Associates (RKA) Principal Architects – Rajinder Kumar and Rahul Kumar, together with their teams have created structures nationwide that bear an international mark of quality. According to Rahul Kumar, who joined the successful practice in 1990, and who has today taken the firm to even greater heights, RKA’s success comes not just because of their creative and much lauded designs but because they are able to make the best of available resources. “We do not want to make monuments but buildings loved by the people who use them,” says the young architect who brought a global sensitivity to the firm after studying at the University of Pennsylvania, the alma mater of Louis Kahn. “In my college days, I loved the works of Richard Miere,” he reveals. “I used to admire the spaces he designs and his use of light.” However, today he finds it difficult to name any one architect whose work he admires. “Now, the challenge is to deliver spaces that are pleasant, efficient and healthy with available resources,” he says matter-of-factly. For him, this practical approach involves incorporating local and traditional elements into a contemporary vocabulary of design. So what’s his favourite work? He dodges that one with ease; “For every architect, his most recent work is his favourite!”
Awards & Accolades
• Awarded at the World Green Building Congress at New Delhi in 2006 for designing one of the World’s largest Platinum Rated Green Office Building - ITC Green Centre, Gurgaon.
• The Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO) awarded the Hall of Fame award for the outstanding contribution to Tourism planning in India in 2005.
• In 2007, Economic Times Acetech felicitated RKA for their contribution to the field of architecture and construction.
• They have bagged the Architect of the year – Residential at Realty Plus Excellence Awards 2010.
• HCL Technologies Campus, Noida – Phase 1
• Crown Plaza, Okhla, New Delhi
• Crown Plaza, Gurgaon
• Tech Mahindra Campus, Pune - Phase 1
• Claridges Hotel, Surajkund, Faridabad
• Parsvnath Exotica, Gurgaon
• Re-master planning of South Campus, Delhi University
• Mahindra Tech Park, Jaipur
• Novotel Hotel, Hyderabad Airport
• Oil India Development Board corporate office, Noida
• Unitech Infospace IT Park, Gurgaon
• DCM commercial office building, Gurgaon, among others.
• Maruti Suzuki and Bharti corporate offices, New Delhi
• HCL Technologies Campus, Noida Phase 1
• ITC Royal Gardenia, Bengaluru – World’s largest LEED Platinum rated green hotel, among others.
• World Bank Offices, New Delhi
• International Finance corporation offices, New Delhi
• Reliance corporate office, New Delhi
• Fortis Super Specialty Hospital, Gurgaon
• Hotel for GMR at Terminal 3, Delhi Airport
• Ozone Housing, Faridabad
• Tata Camelot, Residential Township, Chandigarh
• Eight academic and hostel buildings at Delhi University including FMS
• Azaiba Hotel at Muscat, Oman
• Ritz Carlton Hotel, Bengaluru
• Grand Hyatt Hotel, Noida, among others.
Vision for the Future
After 63 years of independence, in addition to the green buildings and green environment we are attempting to create all around us, I would like to see contemporary architecture in our country that truly suits our ‘Indian environment” and user habits. I’d like our cities and towns to be thoughtfully planned at an urban level by sensitive designers who think beyond commercialisation of every square inch of land so we can live in lesser congestion and breathe cleaner air. And finally, in order for all of this to actually come about I’d like to see architects play a bigger role in decision making for our cities.